Tuesday 14 October 2014

Hooray! Gertie's portrait blouse

Thank you for all your birthday wishes for Megan. I read them to her and she smiled the whole way through.


I received this book for my birthday two years ago and have just got round to reading it properly. In fact I have read it cover to cover over the last two weeks. The techniques and information are so inspiring. If only I had read it ages ago, when I received it from my next door neighbour, I could have solved a great many of my vintage pattern woes.


I cut out the portrait blouse in the summer when I cut out a peasant style blouse in the same fabric from Minerva. I did that bagging-up-a-load-of-garments thing that I do.


Image from Gertie's book - not me

My own organisation overwhelms me at times! This is what the bag contained when I opened it this week, notes included...It always feels like 'I don't remember doing this', but I must have done it because there it all was.


It was a really easy make. I made one alteration. I made flat darts on the front instead of tucks which made it look a bit strange on the front to me. I wanted a sleeker finish.


The fabric is a slinky,silky fabric from Minerva Crafts.I tried to get a pattern placement 'swirl' in the centre.


I finished the sleeve edges with hand sewn bias binding which I made myself. There is an invisible zip in the side. Definitely worth a cotton version I think.


Thanks for looking Jo x





12 comments:

  1. It really suits you, I love the pattern on the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colour is is lovely and really suits you. I did get a little confused with the picture of the lady with the tattoos as I didn't remember seeing them on your arms in previous posts now I realise that is the picture in the book and I prefer the fabric you have used it really makes the top look something special well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jo! Fabulous!!! What a fantastic fabric!
    And I love what you made from it! It looks great on you! :)
    Have a wonderful week!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely on you, colour and fabric is very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful and fits you perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely sewing! It suits you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forsee more of these tops in your future! It looks really great on you Jo and you did really with the pattern placement too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it came out beautifully and it looks great on you. I've seen that book online; every time I browse sewing books on Amazon, they recommend that one to me. I'm glad to know it's a good one, I may have to take another look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look fab! Your sewing skills continue to impress me so much.
    Well done!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for making such a lovely blouse too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving it! The patterns really funky and your bias sleeves are so neat!

    ReplyDelete