Friday 25 October 2013

Amelia Hat Pattern

Here it is folks, my first ever pattern made up all by myself. It has been inspired by the range of chunky and super chunky yarns available that make up a really quick hat. This hat is for my friend's daughter for Christmas so it has been named the Amelia Hat.


The pattern is written in UK terms.
Sizing: 5.5mm hook depending on your tension
Yarn: 2 100g balls of Rowan Big wool (used above)
Metres: 150m approx.used
Fits a small adult head 5.5mm
larger adult head 6mm

Ch=chain ss=slip stitch tr=treble htr=half treble dc=double crochet

Alternative yarns that give similar sizings are: Sirdar Big Softie, Debbie Bliss Como, Twileys freedom wool, King Cole Super Chunky

Foundation Row: Ch4, join chains in a circle with a ss

Row 1: Ch2, 9 trebles into the ring, ss into the last stitch of the ch2. (10sts)

Row 2: Ch3, 2tr into the next stitch, 2tr in every stitch to end, 1tr next to the 3ch that started the round. ss in the top of the ch3 (19+ tch)

Row 3: Ch3, *2tr in the next stitch, 1tr in the next* repeat between *and* to complete the round, 1tr next to the ch3 stitch, ss in the top of the ch3 to complete the round. (30)

Row 4: Ch3, 1tr in the same stitch, *1tr in the next three stitches, 2tr in the next* repeat between *and* to end ending on a third treble. ss in the top of the 3ch. (39)

Row 5: Ch4, miss tch, miss 1tr, make * 3 trebles in the next large space (not the stitch) ch1*, continue to make 3tr groups with 2tr from the previous row between each group. 2tr against the first tch. ss in the top chain (19 clusters)


Row 6: 3Ch, 2tr in the same space, *3tr in each space* all the way around.(note there is not a ch1 between them anymore) ss to complete the round.

Row 7: Continue to make 3tr clusters in each space until you have completed 7 or 8 rows (or desired head depth).

Band: ch1, dc in each stitch (not in the spaces anymore) dc in every stitch until you complete the round with a ss. ch1 to move up to the next row. Work 5 or 6 rows of dc band as required. Fasten off and weave in ends.

You can add an embellishment if you like. Flowers and bows all look good. I would love to see one and please let me know if it doesn't work somewhere along the line.

Here is why it has taken so long..


Some help from my little one there on the top line! You are welcome to make this pattern and sell the items on a craft stall but not online. Thanks for your understanding.

Jo xx




25 comments:

  1. ...and there is my weekend project! Thank you! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great please, please let me know if any of it is not right. I have done it so many times now I can't tell anymore!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat looks great and well done on your pattern! Very kind of you to share.
    Marianne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Jo, it looks like a lovely hat to work, so I will most certainly give it a go. Thank you for sharing the pattern with us and well done you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, I would love to see other yarns. Jo x

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing the pattern, I can't wait to try it out as this looks so gorgeous and warm for the coming months. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, and I just so happen to have 2 balls of Rowan Big Wool in my stash - it's a clear sign!
    Thanks for sharing the pattern, am definitely adding it to my "wanties" list :-)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good stuff, I know you have a long list of WIPS and wants but would love to see one off someone elses hook. Jo x

      Delete
  7. Oh well done Jo and congratulations - you've done a terrific job and it's very kind of you to share your first ever 'you' pattern! Hugs, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing a pattern I really hope to try one day, Jo! I appreciate your generosity.
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pattern Jo! The colour is great, what shade is it? I've squeezed Rowan big wool many a time and it's such a yummy yarn. Have a lovely weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is vert 054. thanks for looking and your lovely comment. Jo x

      Delete
  10. What a gorgeous hat and so kind of you to share the pattern ... i am definitely going to give it a go ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello Jo

    Many thanks for visiting my blog and for commenting. This pattern could indeed be just the thing for my grand-daughter I'll show her and see what she says. At nearly 13 I daren't go ahead and make one for her in case she doesn't like it. i'm sure you know what I mean. IMO it is smashing!

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Jo for letting me know about your new pattern. I have definitely got time to make a hat and this is perfect, my daughter asked me to make her another hat. I even have the woo, in my stash. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jo, So glad you popped by for a visit so now I can pop into your blog and see this fantastic hat. Wow I can't believe you designed it, well done I just love it.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in awe, frankly! Well done and thank you for sharing it so generously with us. You are very talented with a crochet hook. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodness Jo!! You are so talented! Really!!!! And that hat! Oh that hat is beautiful! Such an amazing job!!! Here is to a great week friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this pattern. I've made two hats already. One in ivory for a friend and one in a teal color similar to yours for myself. I can't wait to make more of them. I'm new to crocheting (only a couple of months now) and this was very simple to make. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is there a pattern for the cowl?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello do you have a pattern for the cowl? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cowl Pattern???????????????????????????????????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  20. HELLO! I CAN'T REMEMBER HOW I DID IT BUT HERE IS A LINK TO SIMILAR ON RAVELRY
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hour-and-a-half-cowl

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jo, do you think I could manage the Amelia hat as a beginner at crochet? x

    ReplyDelete