Sunday 3 December 2017

Looking for Simplicity

Thank you so much for your kind wedding wishes. In the run up to our wedding I needed some sort of simple activity alongside general planning.I was looking for some crochet simplicity. I had some left over variegated yarn from this sweater and various other little balls which needed tangling into something.


I tried various different blanket motifs: the Maybelle which was too holey, the flower ones shown in the picture which involved double trebles so again it felt too loose so in the end I plumped for the granny square, and why not?


It was a simple no brainer project which I did while listening to comedy on the radio or watching TV in the evenings along with taking a few to work in a project bag for lunch breaks. I joined them all together using some grey with the join-as-you-go method which I have used here. It took me about two weeks of steady evening crochet. It was a distraction project from my brain melting sock marathon.



Rhythmic and simple with a sprinkling of randomness. 
That was what I was looking for.



I am hoping it appeals as a unisex pram blanket so it has been stashed ready for a new baby sometime.



My favourite edging for baby blankets is the reverse double crochet or crab stitch. It gives a rope effect which doesn't catch on babies little fingers. Essentially you double crochet to the right which feels strange at first but then you find your rhythm.





All wrapped up and ready to go. 




Joining up with Jennifer over at Thistlebear for the Winter Link party. Off to check out the other posts. Jo xxx

11 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful blanket. The colours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed your previous post - so just caught your news here! Wow - sincere congratulations -what a lovely event - and I am amazed at how you pulled it together--you all look smashing. However, I am so sorry to hear about your father and cancer. I did so enjoy reading your post about your special day and I loved the poem-- just perfect very memorable. Just lovely. I follow your blog along with Christine's and CJ. Jean Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blanket is beautiful Jo, the colours are lovely and calming. The edging looks nice too, the lovely thing about blogs, you see so many different ways of crafting. Congratulations on your marriage, you all lovely beautiful / handsome. Wow, I am impressed with your flowers too. My parents used to run a florist / nursery business and I've seen many floral displays etc. I know they can be very expensive, you're so talented, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely blanket, the boarder is perfect. Congratulations on your marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blanket. The colours are beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blanket is so beautiful. I love that you made it to relax and unwind with all the planning. I am sure that any baby would love to have it. Thank you for joining in with my link party, you old married lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. Sometimes you just cannot beat the simple granny square when it comes to blankets. Classic. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bea- u- ti-ful! Rhythmic with a sprinkling of randomness sounds just about perfect.
    Sometimes you just can't beat a good old granny square.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blanket,love the colours and design.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like a granny square, really fun to make and always pretty to look at. The recipient of this blanket is one lucky baby! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done Jo! You can't beat a granny square for easy, mindless crocheting. You are going to make a new baby very happy.

    ReplyDelete