Thursday 10 April 2014

Sewing Jersey

I had high hopes for a little sewing project last week. I wanted to make this, so simple but very 'me' tunic.



I bought fabric especially for it. No leftovers, given stuff, house clearance bits from my friend - fabric I chose all on my very own plus a bit more than I wanted to pay.


Gorgeous teal background and ditsy print so that matching wouldn't be too tricky.


I have to do this bit of tracing but that is OK I am good at it now. I thought the tracing was worth it because the T-shirt is pretty darn useful too. The pattern is from Ottobre 5/2013


But gracious me... sewing with jersey??? I tried a stretch stitch which fluted my fabric. I tried twin needle sewing which was better for the hemming but no good for seams, I eventually broke the twin needle. I tried every ziz zag on my machine. I have been experimenting for a few days now but the dress did not materialize. Firstly, I lost concentration and cut out the top instead of the dress! I completely screwed the neckline binding of this top and couldn't get it off. So I cut it off and used the front and back pieces of the top to make these...


She loves them, they are a great fit (that's Ottobre patterns for you) and I had a bit more practising time. 

The problem is you see I ordered lots of jersey in all sorts of colours and thickness' it was in the sale section. It was all so promising when I got it. I really want to crack sewing with jersey because if you want to make your own/children's clothes, jersey is where it's at for modern makes. 

A bit disheartened but very determined I went online and bought one of these...


Woweeeeeeeeee! it is amazing (that is the rest of my car fund gone!)so fast and simple. Does exactly what I have been wanting for years. 

I have cut out and bagged up six sewing projects from some of my jersey so maybe I really can make our own clothes now.

Let's see...Jo x


I know I always tell you my four year old is tiny, well she is about the size of an overlocker!







19 comments:

  1. Jo, you need to have a read of Tilly and the Buttons blog. She released a pattern earlier this year called Coco which is almost identical to the top/dress you've chose and it is made with Jersey. She has blogged a whole series of posts about how to work with jersey. As a newbie stitcher I have managed to make two dresses so far with plans for more simply due to her instructions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen that and it is really nice with the sixties collar but I already had the other pattern. I think with my new whizzy machine I should be fine now, fingers crossed xxxxx

      Delete
  2. Wow, I am so impressed with the new machine....Lucky you! I love the pattern and fabric too, fingers crossed it all goes to plan. Years ago I was told to put paper in between the seams to stop the fabric slipping, hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jo
    Sorry to hear you have had a few slight challenges - however, you made some great leggings. Enjoy working with your overlocker - I look forward to seeing what you make!
    Happy sewing!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overlockers are great Jo - enjoy it! I'm sorry you've had some little hiccups but you will get there, you always do, and the leggings are great! Love, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ps Meant to say how cute your little one looks in the box! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh...how precious is she! Her leggings are really cute too! Sorry to hear that you had such a rough go at the start, but it looks like you'll be enjoying smooth sailing from now on! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The overlocker will get you farther than a car I say! ;-) Love the leggings, and what a little cutie in the box! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so hard to sew this kind of material. That you were able to make beautiful pants is a credit to your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all I think you are freaking amazing that you could make those cute pants from a sewing disaster. they fit her beautifully. And you will love your serger, I have one and I love it and I can't even sew!

    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith, you are making me laugh out loud!

      Delete
  10. lol! I love you buy the fabric and then the overlocker to stitch it! :-) Girl after my own heart. (Once went out to buy a new bin for our caravan and came home with a new caravan!!!) I love my overlocker; bought when the fabric I bought to make a prom dress for my daughter seemed to be unravelling before my eyes and I nearly cried at the thought of zig-zagging every single edge.
    And I love that your "littley" is the same size as an overlocker.
    Have fun making. Jude.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Jo I love those leggings they are just gorgeous. I know that you will find a way around this and now that you have your new machine you will be producing oodles of lovely garments very soon. I have one of these machines but haven't had the courage to tackle it yet. As always Jo you are an inspiration to me. Sorry about the delay in getting back to you but life is much too full at the moment for all the wrong reasons. I am working really hard to catch up with all your wonderful news. Big hugs and loves
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo ... who needs a car anyway ;) ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are amazing for giving this a go and then making something so great out of something that didn't go as you wanted!!!! I mean, how many people can do that! I hope that you love your new overlocker and have great fun making all kinds of things! Love that your little one is the size of an overlocker, but I bet that she won't stay that way for long! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done you - I've been putting off trying to make something stretchy but you've encouraged me to give it a try. I'll let you know how I get on... ;-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jo I'm so envious of your over locker!! I looked into buying one but I didn't know where to start. After watching 'stretch week' on the sewing bee I got myself some awesome silver fabric and I've managed to sew myself a top! Did you use a ball point needle? I'd completely forgotten but when I was chatting to the woman in the shop she reminded me, phew!

    My edges aren't fantastically neat, but I'll try to photograph them and put them on my blog, if I ever get around to it! Let me know how you get on with your overlord, I may be following suit :-D

    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ever since watching GBSB I live in fear of sewing with jersey! Trouble is, i have some gorgeous Nani Iro jersey fabric that cost a bomb, just sitting in a drawer...I might make a bobble trimmed scarf from it, not sure I'm brave enough for more. But those leggings are fantastic, and I bet that over locker will revolutionise your sewing. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. My friend Paula makes swimsuits for syncro swimmers [Rainbow Creations] and she has several machines like yours for her business. She would be cheering you on with your efforts if she knew you, but in lieu of her cheers, I send my own for you, Jo :) xx

    ReplyDelete