Tuesday 29 October 2013

Gift making pour tricot

I went through my blanket box the other day to see how my present stash has been building up over the year and where I might have gaps. Lots for boys which was a surprise so I have started making this for my dad's girlfriend partner.


 
This is a great book, I have Kay Whitt's clothes book and found the instructions and patterns really easy to follow, so I treated myself to the bag one in the summer holidays and have yet to crack open the pattern pieces in the back.

So here are my fabric choices. When I say choices, I mean what I could find in the pull out drawer under the bed from left over projects from days gone by.

 
My last bit of Laura Ashley curtain material left from my lounge curtains, dark blue jacquard used to cover a window seat in a house I lived in over 10 years ago, and some plain green heavy cotton for the inside pockets which was in a bag given to me.
 

 
I did open up two new rolls of ribbon to make the elastic casings and the edge binding.
 
 
 
 
It all came together really well and I love the way you can use the handles for your shoulder or short. Chantal is French and trying to remember how to knit so I have ordered her a French knitting magazine Phildar to go inside, maybe French instructions will be better than my English ones!
 
Are you all thinking about gifts yet? What are you making?
 
Heureux à tricoter!
 
Jo xxx


11 comments:

  1. That's gorgeous Jo - I'm sure she'll love it - I'm still a bit baffled by a simple tote bag so it's a long way off for me! I haven't got any gifts at all yet - I always try not to think about it until after bonfire night and then of course panic. At the moment I'm tootling about making bits and bobs for a craft stall I'm doing with a friend in December - it's really nice playing with felt and buttons again! Have a good week x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing a craft stall too so all my little bits of felt are getting used up, it is so satisfying to get rid of surplus stuff.

      Delete
  2. Lovely bag and a very thoughtful gift! I've just finished crocheting a hat from a certain somebody's recent tutorial... ;-) It was a fun, easy pattern to follow, whipped up super quick, and the finished hat was going to be for me but my eldest has nicked it! She loves it and nearly wore it to bed last night! Great job, Jo, thank you! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that is great to hear. Was the pattern OK?

      Delete
  3. I really do think you are amazing Jo - there's no stopping you! And how thoughtful and caring to organise a French magazine for Chantal! Blessings on you, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bag looks really great, I am sure that your gift will be very well received! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fantastic bags, I love the knitting bag with the very thoughtful magazine, it is perfect.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the material you chose for the bag as well as the bag's construction, Jo, and with the magazine tucked inside it is a magnificent gift! I am thinking...that is the key... thinking about gifts to make, but now to make the crucial leap into making the gifts I am thinking about in time to give! That is my challenge!!!!!
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo what a stunning bag, I love it and the way you have put it all together with stash you already have, amazing, I am sure it will be well and truly loved. I am trying hard not to buy anything as I have so much fabric and yarn so like you I am making myself use what I have to produce gifts - still working on makeup bags for my friends. Love the post Jo, always loads to read as always. Have a fab week
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to use stuff up. Stripy bags are a winner for using up scraps of fabric. Good to hear from you. jo x x

      Delete
  8. I am also (trying) to make some bags as gifts and getting in a real pickle.
    The pattern tells me to use batting (wadding I assume) on the outer fabric, then sew it all together. This will mean 4 layers of "stuff" with the wadding on the outside, until it is lined. But I think my poor machine will get blocked with wadding fibres.
    Why is life never simple ;0)

    ReplyDelete