Wednesday 20 April 2016

The good, the bad and the ugly

So I cast on some more socks. The yarn was good, Regia sock yarn designed by Arne and Carlos. I met them at the CHSI trade show I attended earlier this year and this was in the freebie bag from the Coats stand. Arne showed me how to purl using continental style, yes the very man himself, I sat by him on a sofa.



My new Addi needles are good. The different colours really helped me to get the stitch count right on each needle and they are super pointy. All good.


The pattern that emerges is good, really good. This is my needle to needle join and you can only just see it, no ladders here, so this is all good too.



These sock blockers I bought online were bad. They were cheap and rough. I had to make a trip to the hardware store to buy sandpaper to smooth the edges so that my socks would slide on without snagging.


The pattern I used was bad. The stitch counts for the pick up on the heel were not right. Over a 36 row heel flap I could only pick up 8 stitches to add to the heel turn to keep my 72 stitch total. I even went through it with my mum to check I wasn't going bonkers. I had it from Ravelry but can't tell you to avoid it because I can't remember which one it was.



The ugly pair of odd socks ensued. I lost interest even matching the colour runs of yarn for the second one after I had grappled with the pattern so much on the first one. There was much unpicking and angst but they are finished. I am a fighter you know!



In the end they looked good on because the heel pick up stretches greatly on wearing. My brother is an eclectic sort of guy, with a great sense of humour and a love for his dear sister who makes things so I am going to pop them in the Christmas present box for him. Te He!!


Right I am going straight back to the Susan Anderson tutorial, I only strayed from it because I wanted a mans size, I am not moving until I understand this whole sock thing. I have come to realise I have all the gear but no idea!!!

Jo xx



15 comments:

  1. Dear Jo, the socks look good after all. I really want to learn how to knit socks as well because my daughter learned it at school this year and she promised to teach me. I hope you won't have difficulties with your next pair. Best wishes, Viola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your label really made me laugh, that would be pinned on every pair I knit. My dear Mum has tried several times to show me but I just can't get my head around these sock patterns. I was actually impressed with the end result of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The socks look great Jo, even if they are not matching. Matching socks are overrated. I have a simple sock tutorial on my blog, I use it for women and men, just make the men's a bit longer (they don't have fatter ankles). How interesting to use different coloured needles, I quite fancy it for the colours alone. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your sock patterns and have taken a peek. I want to try some of the fancier ones but I really need to 'get it' before I stray into patterns. I might try the ribbed ones from you tutorial next, they look like I could cope with those! Jo x

      Delete
  4. Did you use the pattern that came with the wool Jo I didn't understand the boomerang heel turn so stuck with my old favourite. I got my yarn to match by running yarn off the ball before I started the second sock. Mine were a ladies size though and I know you can get two socks out of one ball. Would be unsure about a mans size though after matching the yarn. Still I think they look great and I know your brother will love them. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No couldn't do the boomerang heel either. I would definitely have got two socks out of the one ball even if I had some wastage for the colour run match. I made the ankle length quite short as you can see because I wanted to get the pair from one ball and I reckon it is possible if you don't make them too long. Jo x

      Delete
    2. Brill good to know thanks Jo.

      Delete
  5. I can't knit socks on 4 needles. So I use an old pattern for 2 needle socks that I got from Knitting Pattern Central. You have a seam but if you close it with mattress stitch its fine and unnoticeable after a wash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they look really good & love that you have put them away for your brothers Christmas present. Never a disaster xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look cool anyway! With all the experience of having just finished my first ever pair of socks, it looks like the pattern missed out the gusset (a set of decreases each side of the foot after you pick up the stitches along the sides of the heel flap). They kind of look like little triangles underneath the anklebone? So you could pick up, say 17 St down each side instead of 8, do 9 lots of gusset decreases (typically every 2nd or 3rd round), and be back to 72 for the foot. Sorry for the essay! I've got a pic on my blog if it's easier to see it...
    I still think your brother will be thrilled with them though! Happy knitting :-)
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post! The socks are great too and your brother will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is going to love them even more because they aren't perfect. I think that will make him want to wear them right away.
    I think they are grand!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yesterday I dug out the one pair of socks I knit for myself with a dear skilled sock knitting friend by my side. I put them on with pride and pleasure and really want to get on with making some more! I used a Regia self striping yarn and my friend helped me to roll it into two balls and match the starting colors so the socks match. After that I made a pair of children's socks for charity. Then I paid to attend a workshop with a gal to learn how to knit socks using the magic loop method and still have just one children's sock half way finished with that. I admire your determination and creativity, Jo. Thanks for sharing your experience finishing your brother's snazzy socks. He should appreciate your efforts :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jo - I've been knitting socks now for 5 years. Last year Christine Perry (winwick mum blog) produced a basic sock for her sock along. She also produced a book which can be purchased via Amazon. It's proved really popular and I thoroughly recommend looking at her blog. Liz x

    ReplyDelete