Friday 8 May 2015

Kate Dress

I have finished my Kate dress from Sew me Something. I had to make a few alterations due to my fabric and size choice but all in all it was fun to make. The little details make it.



I have size 40 hips so I made UK size 14 as stated on the pattern measurements but if the truth be told it was way too big across the shoulders because it is a loose fitting dress/tunic with quite a bit of ease, which the pattern says so that was my fault.


To save my dress I added some back darts, a back neck opening so that I could still get it over my head, larger bust darts and I shortened it (a lot). I also took a seam down the front to pull the shoulders into place, it changed the neckline but no matter, I added ric rac!



I used the last of my fine needlecord that I bought in a charity shop for £3. I thought I would wear it with black leggings and a long sleeved top in the autumn. 



The pockets are really nice and big with gathered detail and a binding. There are 5 fat quarters in there so plenty of room for standing around with my hands in my pockets!


The pattern is really well marked out and the instructions booklet was fabulous. Have you made a Kate dress or 7!! Yep that is how many Gilly has made from Gilly makes - all of them stunners.


Happy sewing. Jo x


15 comments:

  1. It is fantastic Jo and looks really great on you!! I do like that fabric, and it will be gorgeous to wear in the autumn! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate is a winner in my book, both color and style, Jo. I am playing catch up with your posts again and am impressed with how much you get made...every day...including the knickers :) I especially loved seeing your family photo, and Gerry is adorable, too. Thanks for posting! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is gorgeous! That fabric is beautiful and such a bargin!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jo
    I love the Kate too and have made three so far, with another four lots of material ready. I found the shoulders too wide as well, but have compromised with a smaller size top (although it still seems a bit wide on the shoulders). I have lengthened mine too as I don't want them above the knee. I am just a beginner at clothes making so am not good at altering patterns to fit, but I still love wearing them. Yours looks great!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling better about the top now that you have said the same. I took a seam down the front to pull in the shoulders but it made the neck a V shape rather than a scoop. Jo x

      Delete
  5. It looks great Jo and what a steal getting the cord. As soon as the patterns arrived I wanted to sew one, but I just haven't had the time, so lucky me....Mum took pity on me and made me two!!!! What a fabulous mum I have!!!!! I agree they are roomy, so I think when I make the next one, (because two isn't enough) I'll do a size smaller..... and yes I'll make the next one, I think I'll be pushing my luck to get mum to make me a third! Have a lovely weekend. Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lucky lady, my mum helped me out on my miette cardigan when I hit a brick wall, mums are great aren't they? Would love to see yours soon. Jo x

      Delete
  6. Ok this post has made me very yptef to try. Love the dress and your fabric choice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Your Kate looks fab in that fabric, and I love the ric-rac embellishment, and the way you've made it unique to you. See now why I love making it too? Once you've got the pattern perfected to your shape, you just HAVE to make another...or 2...or 7! ;-) Happy weekend lovely, xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your is fabulous. I really want to make it and I have looked at the pattern so many times but the shipping to the US would be so high it really is not cost effective at this point. I still might some day.
    Hugs,,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way that you have the confidence to make so many positive alterations. The ric-rac looks great and gives it that extra detail. I love dresses with front pockets too - why has the fashion world taken so long to realise that pockets are what every woman needs? Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those cute sleeves Jo! What a brilliant charity shop find as well, I would like some needle cord to make a dress for my daughter. Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very, very cute! All the little details are 'sew' gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love a dress with pockets, I really do. It's gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete