Friday 24 October 2014

Hooray! swimming bag

My Minerva monthly make has a useful but pretty air about it this month. I have made a swimming tote bag from fat quarters. Actually, I made it in the summer holidays, I was so excited about the kit when it arrived.



The fat quarters were a gift, I used two packs but still have some leftover. The tracing pattern cards are a fantastic idea.


The beautiful leather handles really make it look professional. Minerva have lots of good quality handles varying in price, the spotty leather ones are particularly lovely but these went really well with my fabric.


There is a story, there's always a story... I bought a Joules holdall with a gift voucher about five years ago, I used it as my maternity hospital bag and to take on holiday. Then I used it to go swimming with the girls but the inside got damp and it went mouldy, then the zip broke, then the little keyfob dog fell off! It had worked hard this bag, look at the poor thing, but I deconstructed it and took off all the useful parts.


This meant that my new bag could have feet.


The Clover tote template is brilliant and I will be using it again and again. It marks handle placement, feet placement, pocket cutting and a variety of bag shapes by poking your pencil through the holes in the plastic to mark out cutting lines on the fabric.


This is the South Beach Tote which is really roomy but I made it a bit bigger because I need to get two big towels in there with costumes and other stuff. Ironically, I used it on 'South Beach' (in Tenby, not the US) as a beach bag too.


Thanks Minerva.













10 comments:

  1. That's such I cute bag the handles are adorable!!!!
    How did you get the little feet on? Frankie
    http://www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are like massive paper fasteners/brads with wings that part on the back. Easy!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo,

    I love your bag you are such a clever old stick aren't you. I have recently been having a go on a sewing machine. Not been near one for probably 35+ years which is probably when my mum threw her hands up in disgust and gave up on me, but I was a teenager with angst at the time. I can at least sew a straight line and I am in the process of making a bag too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love a link to see your bag. Jo x

      Delete
  3. Wow, the bag is beautiful the handles are a real delight as is the stunning fabric. I too have just finished making a bag for my Mum for Christmas, I will share at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great bag, well done! I've been eyeing up those lovely bag handles for a wee while and am very tempted. Are they pretty easy to sew on and did you need to use a special needle to do so? Love the colour of the ones you used too.
    Happy weekend,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holes are already in the handles so it is easy peasy. I used embroidery thread for strength but there is not spacing or anything just lovely handles. Jo x

      Delete
  5. Your bag is lovely. I really like the handles, especially the little bow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the bag inspiration.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bag Jo, and thanks for explaining everything so well - a teacher through and through! I also enjoyed reading through your previous post on preparing to make your denim jeans and I'm sure you'll do a top job as usual!
    Many thanks for your lovely message on mine on my return to blogland! I really do love your 'Yays' and can almost hear you cheering! Love, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete