Monday 1 July 2013

Garden Walk

After we had all had a shower from our camping trip, we lured our girls out to our town's open gardens afternoon on Sunday saying we were going for a walk to buy an ice lolly - I don't know how much longer I will get away with these sort of white lies but they are working so far!
 

If you are not familiar with the format, several gardens in a town or village open up to the public for an afternoon and you buy a ticket (which raises money for charity) and you can walk around their gardens.

 
There is a slight theme to these garden pictures in that our town sits on the top of Ironbridge Gorge so many people are gardening on a steep hill. They were amazing in their ingenuity.
 

Many had a flat patio area to catch the sun.
 
 
Many had steps and terracing.

 
Some were wild and free.

 
Some were hidden and challenging.

 
One was simply huge.
 
 
But they were all beautiful and inspiring.
Check out an Open Gardens afternoon near you.
Jo x
 
Edit: I forgot to say, we did buy an ice lolly for them both half way round to eek it out a bit longer! 

8 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really fun thing to do. Every garden looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo, what stunning photographs, you could almost smell the flowers. You live in a most wonderful part of the world which we visit often as we love it. I do envy you living where you do. Your family are storing such gorgeous memories which can never be erased. A fabulous post as always, thank you for sharing this with us Jo
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely! I have never heard of "open gardens", I wonder if they exist in Scotland? Must look into it...! Your photos are very pretty.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely scheme, I would be full of garden envy! But what a great way to get some ideas for one's own garden! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just wonderful Jo - thank you so much for sharing your beautiful pics and taking us on a nice little journey. Gardening on steep slopes can be so difficult so its great to see how happy gardeners can successfully rise above those challenges!
    I hope the girls enjoyed their ice lollies after their (unexpected) adventure!
    Have a great week!
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almost makes up fpr not going Jo :-) I don't think I'd enjoy the 'crowd control' moments that would be required at the moment. Maybe next year I'll try going on my own!
    You're lucky to have a flat garden, we're still sorting out our plans with the architect to have ours 'remodeled'
    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely day out. I am so excited about doing this this year, as it is the first I think I can just about manage, so I will have a look at our area, thanks for sharing. I am completely with you on the white lies, I am definitely going to have to do a great deal of explaining standing at those gates, oh boy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete